MadMinute Games Message Board Forum Index MadMinute Games Message Board
This forum is for the people modding and playing TC2M games.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Franklin County - Updated 12-22-09
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MadMinute Games Message Board Forum Index -> TC2M Modder's Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Garnier
Brigade Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Franklin County - Updated 12-22-09 Reply with quote

DOWNLOAD LINK (~6MB)
12-22-09

The terrain is entirely fictional. I tried to make it look like Pennsylvania, I picked Franklin county and used names from that county for the farms.
It seems well playable, I've had a couple battles on it so far.

In the update I've fixed some road glitches, connected some more roads, and added in my own objectives and sound locations.

Screenshots:

Last edited by Garnier on Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:20 pm; edited 7 times in total
sweeteye
Division Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work you are doing for a first map!!!....wish mine looked that nice.I still am a beginner though I have made a half a dozen attempts. I had the same question about placing fences not too long ago. I was told to make a small line of fence.... maybe ten pieces... then duplicate it and move it into position. I have tried this over and over with no real luck being that I can find no way to change the sensitivity of the mouse in Power Render.I end up with the fence jumping all over the map and a big mess. I am currently working on a gettysburg map with miles and miles of fence lines. I have ended up having to place them one piece at a time. I have worked day and night for three days and still have another days work left. It is tedious work....no doubt about it.I hope someone else has a better suggestion....................................
Hancock the Superb
Division Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put down two fences, then duplicate both of them (as one), duplicate that again and again and again (a square function - 2, 4, 8, 16, 32...). Then you can rotate them and add or subtract a few as needed.

Think of it like placing troops in a scenario.
Chamberlain
Presidential Candidate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice job Garnier !!

Map looks good !!

Thumb Up!

Chamberlain

Brigadier General Joshua 'Don't call me Lawrence' Chamberlain in Command of 2nd Division, I Corps, (MMG) AOP
Garnier
Brigade Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

------------------ Old Original Post --------------------

In five hours I put together my first map. I don't know how much time was saved by my terrain generator, but I didn't dare try making a map and manually texturing it. I don't like to do anything the laborious way.
Which brings me to my next question, at the end of this post.

Here are some screens of the map

Question;
I didn't place fences on the map as I didn't see any way to save time doing that. I HATE to do anything the tedious way. I hate doing things that I'll never do again because it was too tedious -- I like to spend my time making it take less time in the future.
So, I want to hear all of you mappers' tips for placing fences. If I can work it out so it doesn't take too long, I'd be very happy.

------------------------------------------------------------

Hancock the Superb wrote:
Put down two fences, then duplicate both of them (as one), duplicate that again and again and again (a square function - 2, 4, 8, 16, 32...). Then you can rotate them and add or subtract a few as needed.

There are several issues I run into:

Mouse sensitivity is extremely high, so the fence cannot be lined up with a previous fence by simply moving it, it jumps too far; there's no precision.

The CTRL key is used both to move fences and to select/unselect them, so while moving a chunk around I frequently accidentally unselect one piece and move the rest away from it, which is tiresome.

Last edited by Garnier on Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
ADukes
MadMinute Team
MadMinute Team

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garnier wrote:
Mouse sensitivity is extremely high, so the fence cannot be lined up with a previous fence by simply moving it, it jumps too far; there's no precision.

"Edit -> Level Properties -> Movement Scale" is your friend.

Community Mod Pack / TC2M - Deutsche Webseite
Garnier
Brigade Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much, I will look at that.

Another issue, on my first real playtest, the AI had three divisions. They sent two of these forward down the road, and the third one stayed where it started and didn't move?!

Is this something the AI can randomly decide to do? Or has anyone seen this on their own maps and have any idea what would cause it? It was a rather easy battle as you might expect...

GrayGhost
Corp Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, great map making...and you did this with 'mundane labor saving' apps you generated yourself, very impressive. Please say again the main apps you used for this production...were they GIMP and PowerRender? Keep up the good work, still many many battlefields to recreate.
Also, as far as my 'main thing' goes, SR1, ALL the presently designed maps need to be re-scaled...they are way too small to accommodate re-creation historically with REAL sprite representation.
Garnier
Brigade Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used:
MS Paint to draw the map and sketch the roads.
GIMP to put the real roads on using the "paths" tool
GIMP to remove all the sketching that I did (using the select all of this color tool)
Paint.NET to draw a grayscale heightmap, shrink it and blur it to get gentle slopes (Gimp could do this of course)
MS Paint to connect the roads at intersections.
And of course this app to generate the grayscale and texture images.

I am working on redoing all the fields in a better way so they can have fences added more easily. Once I figure that out and decide what methods are best, I can post my proper steps in more detail. (I fumbled around a lot on this as I was still learning what things did).

Last edited by Garnier on Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
norb
MadMinute Coder
MadMinute Coder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garnier wrote:
Another issue, on my first real playtest, the AI had three divisions. They sent two of these forward down the road, and the third one stayed where it started and didn't move?!

Is this something the AI can randomly decide to do? Or has anyone seen this on their own maps and have any idea what would cause it? It was a rather easy battle as you might expect...

So you want the secrets of the AI? NEVER!!!

The AI was written to never be able to be anticipated. It has a tendency to do some things, but not a guarantee. It is quite normal for it to hold a div in reserve. But it should send it in as soon as the battle looks problematic. There are bugs in the tc2m AI, so I can't be 100% that's what going on, but that's the concept behind it.

good debate - where people completely disagree, but are gentlemen enough to stick to the facts and not reduced to petty name calling and uncivil responses.
Garnier
Brigade Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly wonder because it's my map and it's the first time I've seen the AI leave such a large force completely idle. I'll have to play again and see what they do, just seems like it could be a map issue.

The AI's unpredictability is excellent though, it's the one thing that can possibly make AI fun to play against, and it's something almost all games I've seen do not attempt to do.

Btw, one thing that makes this map really look good, is because it's fictional I made the edges mirrored on the opposite sides, so the roads and forests don't change abruptly, it just stretches on seamlessly.
ephrum
Army Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
mostly wonder because it's my map and it's the first time I've seen the AI leave such a large force completely idle. I'll have to play again and see what they do, just seems like it could be a map issue.

I'm guessing it's the AI, because I've seen it do that several times.

I really like your map Garnier! Cool
Garnier
Brigade Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've got the hang of it now and could do the fences on a map in an hour or so, which isn't that bad.

Sure wish it could be scripted though. Razz

bfrusa
Division Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G,

Great job on the map!! Looking forward to fighting may a battle on it when you post it.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

bfrusa/Jack O'Neill Smile
Garnier
Brigade Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still want to test it a few times to be sure the AI doesn't always do that, and I need to fix a few fence messups. But I love how this game can make terrain look good.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MadMinute Games Message Board Forum Index -> TC2M Modder's Corner All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: