MadMinute Games Message Board Forum Index MadMinute Games Message Board
This forum is for the people modding and playing TC2M games.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garnier's Order of Battle Generator
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MadMinute Games Message Board Forum Index -> TC2M Modder's Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Garnier
Brigade Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the ratio, the 113/100 is the highest/lowest, not US/CS. Smile

Last edited by Garnier on Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Garnier
Brigade Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I tested the order of battle you sent me, and it ran for me, but the game was using 1.5 GB of RAM, so I'm guessing you ran out of memory which is what would cause a crash during loading.

Here's your OOB in action. As you can see, that's too many men. Surprised
Screenshot
Rudy
Brigade Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have run a large number of OOB's, many of them on default settings, and found that almost all of them won't play.

I've got 2 gig of ram and am running XP Pro.

I'm currently playing Open Play with the Sharpsburg OOB, which is about the size of game I prefer to play (I play at the Division commander level) and it's 58,606 US and 48,384 CS = 106,990.

Is there some way to set up your OOB generator to generate OOB's that are compatible with the amount of ram I have, and XP pro?

I really appreciate what you have developed, and want to use it, but being able to play less than 1 out of 20 OOB's generated by your program isn't much of an inducement to use it.
Garnier
Brigade Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the mod[s] you have installed are what makes it not work, perhaps? I have two installations of the game, one with mods and one without. I've only used my generated OOBs in the vanilla game. Perhaps there's an item that the generator sometimes randomly uses that a mod has corrupted or removed in some way, but wasn't noticed because the stock OOBs don't use it.

I don't know what might be wrong otherwise except something specific to your computer, because the enormous OOB you sent worked for me. Confused
Rudy
Brigade Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only game mod I have installed is the CMP 3.0.

I have installed some new maps, and have tried your OOB's on the game maps and new maps, but with the same game-stopping result.
Garnier
Brigade Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you try it on a vanilla installation? CMP 3.0 is a lot of mods so it could be anything.

Also if you note which "........Loading ____" it is on when it crashes, that would help identify what the problem is.
Rudy
Brigade Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generated 3 new OOB's

The first one hung up on:

Loading: UFlag_NY4_Regt

The next one on:

Loading:UFlag_CT_Regt

The next one on:

Loading:UFlag_PA2_Regt

I ran the third OOB a second time and it hung up on the same load.

I then installed the game from the disk into a different folder and patched it up to Patch 3.

Then I ran the third OOB and the game loaded OK.

I'm kind of partial to the work that went into CMP 3.0, so I hope you can find a fix for this.

And to add some more randomness, can you update your generator to allow a range for both the number of Corp and Divisions? Even a small range, say from 1-3?
Garnier
Brigade Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm kind of partial to the work that went into CMP 3.0, so I hope you can find a fix for this.

I'm sorry about this. The problem is, I have no idea what all CMP 3.0 does, and I don't think it's worth trying to make this compatible with a modded version of the game. Sad
Anyone who has an idea as to the problem is free to advise me, work a fix on their own in the source code, etc. The problem could perhaps be got around by editing the .csv files with this generator, you could try making it only use certain types of units, perhaps -- no guarrantees though..

Quote:
And to add some more randomness, can you update your generator to allow a range for both the number of Corp and Divisions? Even a small range, say from 1-3?
Not now, perhaps someday, but I wouldn't like that myself because the numbers would be even more disproportionate, and it would take a lot of generating to get a roughly even OOB. Wink

Of course more options are always good, so eventually.
Rudy
Brigade Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, I'll have to pass on your efforts then.

Like I said, I'm partial to the work that went into CMP 3.0, and I don't want to give it up.

CMP 3.0 seems to be a standard on this forum although I don't think anybody knows the proportion of players who use it versus not using it.
Davidd
Brigade Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've banged on about this before, but the 'Generic Mod Enabler' tool is invaluable for this kind of work - it enables you to load mods, with their own specific values, and then swap back to the stock game in a jiffy!

It needs a bit of configuring at first, especially figuring out what files are needed for each mod, but it is so efficient in loading/unloading mods, and removes the need for multiple instalations of the game.

Great for testing mods - do a search for it!
Hancock the Superb
Division Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy fix - put all the needed files in the scenario folder (obviously under Data Files, for most stuff). However, you cannot change the mainscreen stuff within the scenario stuff.
7th Wisconsin
Division Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be full of beans, but would turning off High res flags in game be the issue with Rudy's game hanging?
Garnier
Brigade Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that's it.

I ran a small generated OOB using CMP 3.0, which worked, but then a huge one didn't work (while both work on vanilla). This was with high res flags off.

When it crashed on UFLAG_CT_Regt, I changed all of those to another flag, and it crashed on a different flag (not always the one I changed it to).
Anthropoid
Regimental Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have a fresh link to that Garnier's OOB generator? Using the one in the post above, I can get to the "The Hawks Group" site, but it is not clear where the OOB generator is at.

ADDIT: now the link worked today. Got 'er downloaded!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MadMinute Games Message Board Forum Index -> TC2M Modder's Corner All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: