MadMinute Games Message Board Forum Index MadMinute Games Message Board
This forum is for the people modding and playing TC2M games.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems adjusting sound volumes...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MadMinute Games Message Board Forum Index -> TC2M Modder's Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
122nd Ohio
Army Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Problems adjusting sound volumes... Reply with quote

In the SDK it says to enter values between 0 and -1000 to reduce the volume of a certain sound in the game (in the gamesounds.csv). I wanted to turn down the volume of stuff like marching artillery which I think are too loud and drown out ambient sounds. But what the SDK says to do doesn't seem to work, sounds play at normal volume no matter what number I use.

Anyone ever play around with this?

I've been trying out new ambient sounds for my maps but once the map loads and artillery starts moving around that's all I hear.

Also, there is always a default ambient sound playing on every map (some crickets and birds mostly) that I want to either change to an alternate sound of my choice or mute, but I've had no luck with that either. Is it hard-coded into the engine?
Davinci
MadMinute Team
MadMinute Team

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

122nd – maybe not the direct answers to your questions, but another way of doing the same thing…..

1) Use a sound recorder of some type to reduce the sound, and then Rename it, Save it, and add that to the Mod!

Windows XP - had a built-in program - but this was stopped with Vista - so you might have to search for a program on-line.

2) The sounds in the game are listed in the mapname csv file – you know the listings for trees,, and etc, at the bottom of the file, just remove those, and the terrain sounds should go away!

davinci
122nd Ohio
Army Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davinci wrote:
122nd – maybe not the direct answers to your questions, but another way of doing the same thing…..

1) Use a sound recorder of some type to reduce the sound, and then Rename it, Save it, and add that to the Mod!

Windows XP - had a built-in program - but this was stopped with Vista - so you might have to search for a program on-line.

2) The sounds in the game are listed in the mapname csv file – you know the listings for trees,, and etc, at the bottom of the file, just remove those, and the terrain sounds should go away!

davinci

1) I can try using my VLC media player to adjust the sound levels, I'll let you all know if that works or not. I use it to convert sound file formats for use in TC2M but not sure about volume.

2) But even if I remove all the sounds from the mapname.csv, there is still an ambient sound that plays constantly in every map, stock or custom. If I knew what the file name was for that sound, I could just replace the file with something that suits my map better.
Davinci
MadMinute Team
MadMinute Team

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

122nd

1) I’m not sure about that program; it would seem that you would need a program where you could control the volume settings!

2) Try naming the Ambient1 sound file to xAmbient1 - and see if you still receive the terrain sounds. This way if it doesn’t work, just remove the x from the name and it will default back to the original file.

davinci
Chonaman
Presidential Candidate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems adjusting sound volumes... Reply with quote

122nd Ohio wrote:
In the SDK it says to enter values between 0 and -1000 to reduce the volume of a certain sound in the game (in the gamesounds.csv). I wanted to turn down the volume of stuff like marching artillery which I think are too loud and drown out ambient sounds. But what the SDK says to do doesn't seem to work, sounds play at normal volume no matter what number I use.

Anyone ever play around with this?

I've been trying out new ambient sounds for my maps but once the map loads and artillery starts moving around that's all I hear.

Also, there is always a default ambient sound playing on every map (some crickets and birds mostly) that I want to either change to an alternate sound of my choice or mute, but I've had no luck with that either. Is it hard-coded into the engine?

Hey 122nd-
Sounds in the game always play at the default level at which they were originally recorded (shown as 0 in gamesounds.csv, which is the master file for registering all sounds used in the game). If you want to change the volume, you need an application that can modify it, like GoldWave. GoldWave is a fantastic program which I've used extensively for several years, and can be used free, with all features for 1500 commands (without buying a license). An annual license is $19.95 US (and worth every penny if you want to work with sounds for mods, etc.). You can even RECORD ANYTHING you can hear over your speakers using the "What U Hear" setting, which makes everything suddenly available to you - even things that would normally cost a few bucks! Cool

The ambient music in the stock game is Ambient1.wav, or Ambient_Chantilly.wav (on the Chantilly map only).

If you want to change the ambient sounds globally, just replace Ambient1 in the Sound folder. If you want to change it for a single map, you need to "register" the name of your new .wav file in the Data Files\gamesounds.csv file, and then enter it into the 'mapname'.csv file on the map you want to use it on - put it under the TERRAIN TABLE SOUNDS heading in the following way:

loc x=0
loc z=0
dir x=0
dir z=0
Sprite=(leave empty)
Sound File='filename'.wav
Terrain=(leave empty)

Thereafter, the map will use your new ambient sound file. Personally, I like the way battle sounds are louder than ambient sounds, but hey, it's your game, so you should have it the way you like!

Cheers! Wink
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MadMinute Games Message Board Forum Index -> TC2M Modder's Corner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: