MadMinute Games Message Board Forum Index MadMinute Games Message Board
This forum is for the people modding and playing TC2M games.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gettysburg Map and Scenarios
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MadMinute Games Message Board Forum Index -> TC2M Modder's Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharpshooter
Division Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Gettysburg Map and Scenarios Reply with quote

I located a wonderful topographical map from shortly after the civil war with four foot intervals of elevation and all farms, houses, and even stone walls, rail fences and worm fences noted on the map. Soooo. Having almost finished my first map, and not being satisifed it was accurate enough (sorry..I am a prefectionist) I will now be redoing the entire map LOL At least it should be a real accurate and wonderful map when I am through, but since I hgave to convert it by hand..it may take a bit of time (and probably alot of eye strain), but it should be well worth it when the final product is finished. I guess another good thing is that now that I have a couple weeks into the other map, I have learned alot, and wil know what I am doing this time around Smile So...not sure how long til its released, but it will get here eventually. I am going to guess 3-4 weeks to be completed with day one scenarios ready to give it a whirl...but we will see Razz
JC Edwards
Presidential Candidate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharpshooter! I big how ya do and welcome to the MMG Community Very Happy
Your map sounds interesting and thank you for taking the time to make it.....look forward to seeing it in about 3-4 weeks. Wink

regards

Sarge
Davinci
MadMinute Team
MadMinute Team

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds Good, the community really does deserve a decent Gettysburg Map!

Mine was terrible!

But, then again – I can’t sing or dance either!

davinci
Wisconsin_Regiments73
Brigade Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the community sharpshooter Welcome Welcome , looking forward to the new map.

Davinci, I thought your map was great!!
Regimental Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Gettysburg Map and Scenarios Reply with quote

sharpshooter wrote:
I located a wonderful topographical map from shortly after the civil war with four foot intervals of elevation and all farms, houses, and even stone walls, rail fences and worm fences noted on the map.

These sound like the maps from: http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/h?ammem/gmd:@filreq%28@field%28NUMBER+@band%28g3824g+cw0325000c%29%29+@field%28COLLID+cwmap%29%29

Graeme
sharpshooter
Division Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Gettysburg Map and Scenarios Reply with quote

graemecook wrote:
sharpshooter wrote:
I located a wonderful topographical map from shortly after the civil war with four foot intervals of elevation and all farms, houses, and even stone walls, rail fences and worm fences noted on the map.

These sound like the maps from: http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/h?ammem/gmd:@filreq%28@field%28NUMBER+@band%28g3824g+cw0325000c%29%29+@field%28COLLID+cwmap%29%29

Graeme

Yes, that is the exact map Smile

Funny thing was I didnt find it the first time I was looking, but persistance pays off I guess. The second time around I managed to locate it pretty quickly Smile I have been workign liek mad to get it into a greyscale height map for day one Smile If it goes well and everyone enjoys it, I will probably go ahead and do a day 2 and 3 map(S) also Smile
Zeke
Corp Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davinci wrote:
Sounds Good, the community really does deserve a decent Gettysburg Map!

Mine was terrible!

But, then again – I can’t sing or dance either!

davinci

Never mind Davinci you know what tone deaf U.S. Grant said "I only know two songs... One's Yankee Doodle and the other one isnt!!!"

Good luck with the map Sharpshooter look forward to seeing you work!

Ulysses S. Grant's comment's seeing Meades newly commissioned, red and silver embossed Eagle Army HQ Pendant.
Davinci
MadMinute Team
MadMinute Team

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Wisconsin_Regiments73 .

Zeke - I think that Grant was born to fulfill just one task, and He did do that, nothing else seemed to have worked out for the man!

davinci
sharpshooter
Division Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcomes (missed that earlier). Anyways, The map is nearing completion and will be starting the scenarios in the next few days. I am sort of dissapointed about the map tho. I went to all that troouble to make the perfect grey scale conversion at 4 foot contours, only to discover the resolution is pretty dismal, and most of the work was for naught. I understand now why 122nd ohio was asking if there was a way to enlarge the greyscale height map. You lose a ton of detail and resolution when you shrink it down to 256x256. In any event, it did at least provide the basic contours, so they will be relatively accurate. I had to do a fair amount of hand tweaking tho in order to make it "feel" right...which is sort of objective I guess. It looks an dfeels pretty good to me though Smile

Anyways, I wanted to get some suggestions from ohter modders here. I have used a fair amount of objects on the map, and they come from a variety of the other modders DAT files in the community(from other MOD packages I downloaded). I pulled what I wanted from wherever, but have used a bit from nearly every mod out there hehe. So now I am wondering.....I want to be able to provide one simple download package to whoever wants to use this mod, without requiring them to have 6 other mods installed for mine to work. Any idea how I would save off the objects I am using in my level to a DAT file that I can include with the download ? I was thinking that is what I should do to make it a complete stand alone mod package that would be as simple as possible to install. But now I am thinkign if I do that..I would also then need to rename all of the objects accordingly in the CSV files as well ? Or should I just suggest the other download mods instead (it would promote them too I guess hehe) Thoughts ?
Chonaman
Presidential Candidate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharpshooter wrote:
Thanks for the welcomes (missed that earlier). Anyways, The map is nearing completion and will be starting the scenarios in the next few days. I am sort of dissapointed about the map tho. I went to all that troouble to make the perfect grey scale conversion at 4 foot contours, only to discover the resolution is pretty dismal, and most of the work was for naught. I understand now why 122nd ohio was asking if there was a way to enlarge the greyscale height map. You lose a ton of detail and resolution when you shrink it down to 256x256. In any event, it did at least provide the basic contours, so they will be relatively accurate. I had to do a fair amount of hand tweaking tho in order to make it "feel" right...which is sort of objective I guess. It looks an dfeels pretty good to me though Smile

Anyways, I wanted to get some suggestions from ohter modders here. I have used a fair amount of objects on the map, and they come from a variety of the other modders DAT files in the community(from other MOD packages I downloaded). I pulled what I wanted from wherever, but have used a bit from nearly every mod out there hehe. So now I am wondering.....I want to be able to provide one simple download package to whoever wants to use this mod, without requiring them to have 6 other mods installed for mine to work. Any idea how I would save off the objects I am using in my level to a DAT file that I can include with the download ? I was thinking that is what I should do to make it a complete stand alone mod package that would be as simple as possible to install. But now I am thinkign if I do that..I would also then need to rename all of the objects accordingly in the CSV files as well ? Or should I just suggest the other download mods instead (it would promote them too I guess hehe) Thoughts ?

Welcome to the MMG community, and thanks for the work you've done. Consolidating the many modded .dat file objects to a single one is a minor project in itself. It can be done using PowerRender. I don't believe you would have to modify the .csv files, however.

.csv files control the weapons, sounds, events, levels, units, etc., but the 3D elements of the game are packed into the .lsl files and associated map graphics files - to the best of my knowledge.

Good luck and have fun! Smile
Gfran64
Army Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharpshooter,

Good luck with the map. I am looking forward to giving it a try. All of us here remain very grateful to the modders who keep this game fresh.

Regards,

Greg Very Happy

"The sea has neither meaning nor pity." Anton Checkov

Brig. General G. 'Fran' Drescher, 3rd "New Jersey Fire Brigade", 4th Division, I Corp, (MMG), AOP
Davinci
MadMinute Team
MadMinute Team

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you have placed all of the new objects into a single DAT file, all that would be required would be to give that file a new name, such as… Gettysburg.dat .

Basically, Open up a LibEdit window – Select New – Name it – and drop all of the new items into it.

You will not have to alter any of the csv files, but you may have to place the lsl file, and the new dat file in separate downloads.

Basically, unless you have converted the items in the lsl from tga to that of dds – your LSL file should be approximately 19,000 KB.

So, I’m guessing that your new DAT file is approximately 12,000 – 16,000 KB.

But, then again – with a good hosting-site, combining the two shouldn’t cause any major problems. It would be roughly 30-40 Megs.

The only problem I think that I had with the DAT files, was when I tried to convert one of the default houses into a new dat file, without renaming it correctly, it would appear sort of distorted!

davinci
sharpshooter
Division Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys !

Davinci wrote:
As long as you have placed all of the new objects into a single DAT file, all that would be required would be to give that file a new name, such as… Gettysburg.dat .

Basically, Open up a LibEdit window – Select New – Name it – and drop all of the new items into it.

You will not have to alter any of the csv files, but you may have to place the lsl file, and the new dat file in separate downloads.

Basically, unless you have converted the items in the lsl from tga to that of dds – your LSL file should be approximately 19,000 KB.

So, I’m guessing that your new DAT file is approximately 12,000 – 16,000 KB.

But, then again – with a good hosting-site, combining the two shouldn’t cause any major problems. It would be roughly 30-40 Megs.

The only problem I think that I had with the DAT files, was when I tried to convert one of the default houses into a new dat file, without renaming it correctly, it would appear sort of distorted!

davinci

I will take a closer look at it in a another week or two. I want to finish everythign up first, and then I will figure out how to package it all together the best way. I will probably pop back in and pick your brain again later. hehe Thanks for giving me some direction and somthign to think about in the meantime.

Right now I am tryign to figure out why the game is freezing up in the first minute or so of gameplay when I tried testing it last night. I started on the greyscale last night and tried testing it after putting in the roads and a few fields and trees...I double checked and the the roads seem to be good...there was no greyscale errors in the log either. I do need to finish the river and shores and bridges in the grey scale..and I am guessing that is what it is causing the problem (i hope so anyways ). I will admitedly be at a bit of a loss if once I finish those the problem continues LOL
Davinci
MadMinute Team
MadMinute Team

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharpshooter wrote:
Right now I am tryign to figure out why the game is freezing up in the first minute or so of gameplay .

sharpshooter wrote:
I double checked and the roads seem to be good...there were no greyscale errors in the log either.

OK, the first answer that I was going to give you would have been to double check the Log file, but you have already done this!

So, the only other thing that would affect the game freezing up like that would be the road-system – has too many pixels within them.

Basically, the pausing – that is occurring is the AI plotting a path on the roads, if this takes a long-pause – try to narrow the roads down to a single inner pixel. The outer part of the road can be one to three pixels in width, that part really doesn’t matter.

You probably already know this but, make sure that the inner-road has a faster speed than the outer-road; this will force the AI to walk on the fastest-inner-pixels.

BTW – when you start a game, give your Corps a movement order to the extreme top-right\left of the map. Check for path errors…..then

Start another game – and give them orders to the extreme-bottom left\right of the map, basically you are moving your army so that they will cover all parts of the map, this will force the Corps to march on all of the roads, and should pin-point any path errors.

If you notice any pausing immediately after giving movement orders to a large body of men - watch the clock – while doing this – double check the roads, and intersections.

davinci
sharpshooter
Division Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davinci wrote:
sharpshooter wrote:
Right now I am tryign to figure out why the game is freezing up in the first minute or so of gameplay .

sharpshooter wrote:
I double checked and the roads seem to be good...there were no greyscale errors in the log either.

OK, the first answer that I was going to give you would have been to double check the Log file, but you have already done this!

So, the only other thing that would affect the game freezing up like that would be the road-system – has too many pixels within them.

Basically, the pausing – that is occurring is the AI plotting a path on the roads, if this takes a long-pause – try to narrow the roads down to a single inner pixel. The outer part of the road can be one to three pixels in width, that part really doesn’t matter.

You probably already know this but, make sure that the inner-road has a faster speed than the outer-road; this will force the AI to walk on the fastest-inner-pixels.

BTW – when you start a game, give your Corps a movement order to the extreme top-right\left of the map. Check for path errors…..then

Start another game – and give them orders to the extreme-bottom left\right of the map, basically you are moving your army so that they will cover all parts of the map, this will force the Corps to march on all of the roads, and should pin-point any path errors.

If you notice any pausing immediately after giving movement orders to a large body of men - watch the clock – while doing this – double check the roads, and intersections.

davinci

I worked on the greyscale some more last night. There was a river running through the map I had not put into greyscale until last evening. After I added the river, the banks, and the bridges in greyscale, the crash went away. I am thinking there was troops on the other side of that river (it was an actual river that shows water because of its elevation, and i am thinking that caused some pathing errors... but I dont know for sure. What I do know is that after I added it in greyscale with shores and bridges at the crossing points, the game loaded fine in open play and did not crash with full gettysburg OOB for both sides.

I will probably spend another few days tweaking the map jpg to make it look real nice, I also need to finish the greyscale map, and then I still have quite a few fences and stone walls left to place on the map. After that..maybe another week of scenario designing (I already did a bunch of research of the troops, times, and fighting (and the locations) for the first day).

I am getting fairly excited and anxious to get to the scenario writing. I know it is goign to be alot of fun, not only to create them, but to play them. Most first day CW games I have played in the past tended to focus on just the McPherson farm area, but there was really a fair amount of action all across a large semi circle from the west to the northeast throughout the day as confederate troops all converged on gettysburg from different directions. Some of the scenarios I have planned are of course the McPherson farm, then north towards oak ridge with the arrival of jones (?) division, and then eastward across barlows knoll where ewells(?) division arrived in the afternoon and flanked howards division and routed the union troops back through gettysburg. That was really the crucial point in history in my opinion. If the confederates had followed up and pressed south to take cemetary hill, the outcome would probably have been a confederate victory. There was enough time to do it, and lee had suggested it be done if possible, but they didnt do it, and history is as we know it as a result.

Anyways...the MOD is coming along nicely and quickly. It shouldn't be too much longer Smile I will need some suggestions on where to put it for download as well, since i dont have any accounts anywhere currently, and don't have enough space on my ISP to offer it out.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MadMinute Games Message Board Forum Index -> TC2M Modder's Corner All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: