MadMinute Games Message Board Forum Index MadMinute Games Message Board
This forum is for the people modding and playing TC2M games.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RELEASE - "TC: German Unification Wars" available!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MadMinute Games Message Board Forum Index -> TC2M Modder's Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Helmuth_von_Moltke
Regimental Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: RELEASE - "TC: German Unification Wars" available! Reply with quote

So...after working on it since February, I now officially release my mod.

For all people who haven't heard about it yet: It's kind of a total conversion, new units, new maps, OOB's, scenarios, menus....

The setting are the so called "Unification Wars" from 1864 - 1871, which led to the founding of the german nation state in January 1871 (the 2nd Schleswig War, the Austro-Prussian and the Franco-Prussian War).

I have to say however, that I never played mods like "Rebels and Redcoats" or "Horse and Musket" - therefore I had no paragon or example on how to do such a total conversion. I just did what I thought would be right.

For further information you may want to read this thread:
http://www.madminutegames.com/MadMinuteBB/viewtopic.php?t=10074&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Also the scenarios may still contain some mistakes, I had (and have now) no time to test them all from beginning to the end. Nevertheless in the last few days I played several of them and I hope to have found all mistakes. If you encounter any weird phenomenons then tell me and I will try to figure out whether there is something / or what is wrong.
Especially the first scenario - the Battle of Dybbol - isn't perfect. I lost the scenario files of it and only have the mmg archive, which I'm unable to unpack.
Since the Battle of Dybbol was the first scenario I created, it contains some teething problems which I'm now (despite knowing a lot more about creating scenarios) unable to fix.

There's a quite lengthy PDF-file called manual.pdf, which describes the installation of the mod, some more technical details about it and a huge part about the historical background of the mod.
I would be glad if someone would read it, so that it's not written completely in vain Wink

I release this mod now, since it's finished 99,9% (0,01% = possible flaws in scenarios) and my time is getting more and more limited. If I would try to make it completely perfect, the release would probably have to be postponed another 6 - 8 weeks.
But maybe I'm mistaken and there are no further flaws (except in the Battle of Dybbol). That would be of course the best case.

The download link is http://www.plotti.de/TCGU.zip (~ 140 MB and 550 MB unzipped).
The direct link to the manual.pdf is http://www.plotti.de/manual.pdf

I would appreciate it if someone could host my mod. The webspace it's currently hosted doesn't belong to me. It's "borrowed" and the mod can't stay there unlimited.

Greetings,
Helmuth
GrayGhost
Corp Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downloading now...thanks for your contribution, glad you hung in there and saw it through. I know how these long mods can get to you, and like you said, "I'm sick of this thing" feelings start messing with your head. Then, you release it, folks show their thanks, hopefully praise, and all is well in modville, or, for you, modberg. Then you go at it again...because your hooked. Laughing
Paul 71stPVI
Regimental Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HUZZAH!

Oh, crap...this isn't the Civil War, is it?

Excellent job, Helmuth. Can't wait to download after I get out of work.
Tacloban
Presidential Candidate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great News! Thank you Helmuth! Downloading now. I can't make it to Europe this summer, so this will be as close as I get. I'm not complaining.
norb
MadMinute Coder
MadMinute Coder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.madminutegames.com/Community/TCGU.zip
http://www.madminutegames.com/Community/manual.pdf

good debate - where people completely disagree, but are gentlemen enough to stick to the facts and not reduced to petty name calling and uncivil responses.
Davidd
Brigade Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manual alone is a must!!
Paul 71stPVI
Regimental Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helmuth:

Playing through this, it's GREAT stuff! Question, though - I'm running into some problems in the Weissenburg scenario. I think there's an error in the OOB or something....I only have control over one division, and there seems to be a corps commander that appears at the beginning of the scenario and then disappears.

*salutes* excellent work, sir.
Helmuth_von_Moltke
Regimental Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The manual alone is a must!!

Thanks Smile
And thanks to norb for the hosting!

Quote:

think there's an error in the OOB or something....I only have control over one division, and there seems to be a corps commander that appears at the beginning of the scenario and then disappears.

Ah, if I remember correctly this is intended. I wasn't sure about the OOB at first - there were a lot of troops around Wissembourg at that time, actually the whole army of the crownprince. However I couldn't find details about which units exactly were involved in the fighting.
Some sources just claim that the whole army was involved, however that would be a little too much against a single french division.
Therefore the units.csv actually contains the whole army. Later I decided to hide a big part of the army - instead of deleting it (it's just easier
Wink ), because the scenario would otherwise have been really too easy. It's too easy as it is,.....but that's why the French lost the battle.

In short: There are more troops in the units.csv of this scenario than are available to the player. The rest is hidden due to my laziness.

Nevertheless I'll check it as soon as I get home this evening.
I'll post then also some hints which I should have already included in the manual!

Greetings,
Helmuth
Helmuth_von_Moltke
Regimental Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay...I just played the first 15 minutes of the Wissembourg scenario. In principle it all seems to be correct. There are several hidden units, like I said. Some of them will appear, like the Bavarians. But some of them will not, out of the reason I explained above.

However there IS one potential problem. I discovered that in the units.csv there are two units with the same unit ID !
The prussian Colonel von Bothmer, who commands one of the brigades in General Sandrarts division and the bavarian General Friedrich Graf von Bothmer, who is hidden at first, have the same unit ID. I made this mistake out of obvious reasons.
What's weird is that at the beginning actually the correct unit is hidden - General Bothmer. But why if both have the same ID ?
I wonder if later the hidden Bothmer is correctly shown.
I'll play the scenario and correct it, if problems occur.

Now some comments and hints, which came to my mind.
In the scenarios you should in general heed the advice of your subordinates and follow the orders of your superiors. They'll guide you through the scenarios. But there are exceptions!
It's not in all scenarios necessary to hold all VIP's (but in most of them) or to hold them all the time. Sometimes it can even be deadly to try to hold a VIP point which isn't necessary for victory.
If your subordinates call for help or want to help their comrades, that's not necessarily the right choice (one thing I'll reveal: don't send help to the bavarians at Woerth - Kirchbach is wrong and they don't need it).

Also studying the real battles could help you, since I tried to model them as best as I could.

Bear in mind the weeknesses and strengths of your forces - especially in Open Play, where the numbers in men are usually quite equal.
The prussians with their needle gun can be beaten either by french infantry or otherwise only by outnumbering them.
The prussian needle gun is inferior to the french Chassepot rifle - but the prussian artillery at this time is the better one.
If you play the French --> let your infantry storm the enemy lines.
If you play the Prussians --> Blow them away with your cannons.

You'll notice that I extended the range of sight to 4000 yards maximum!
This has two reasons: The prussian artillery in the Franco-Prussian War had the main advantage of almost the double range of the french.
But if your artillery only can see 1000 yards, there's not much advantage left.
The second reason is especially the Battle of Kissingen in the Austro-Prussian War. At the beginnig there was an artillery duell. The Prussians were positioned on the Altenberg and the Bavarians on the Sinnberg, which is actually east of the map border !
I had to place the Bavarians already nearer to the Prussians, in order to get them on the map. And still they were far out of range of each other.
Therefore as well I had to extend the range of sight.
This also means that the default range in the game seems to be quite unrealistic, since in reality they could do artillery duells over far greater range.

Okay...that's what I wanted to add so far. Maybe there will be more things, coming to my mind.

By the way:
If you play all scenarios to the end, you should be able to tell what's my
favourite piece of classical music Wink
(Therefore I wasn't too happy that someone plays the Wissembourg scenario as first battle, since the interpretation at the end is quite unusual *ggg*).

Greetings,
Helmuth
Turbografx
Regimental Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this Helmuth, can't wait to try it!
Turbografx
Regimental Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, just finished my first session.

Some observations:

*The French infantry have some strange white lines above them? Is this just me?

*The Austrian Generals have German Confederation flags.

Other than that nothing is wrong that you haven't already explained. It might be worth changing the Infantry Officer sprites for the Danes though because the slouch hat is conspicuous Wink

Also, I notice all the Danes are armed with Belgian 1843 Muskets. While it might not really matter what it says, I can find you the real Danish weapons used at the time but I don't know which units were armed with what Sad
Turbografx
Regimental Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forum farted.
Helmuth_von_Moltke
Regimental Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turbografx wrote:

*The French infantry have some strange white lines above them? Is this just me?

No, I know of that. That's due to a small mistake I made in Photoshop when creating the sprites. I'm not completely sure, but I think the normal picture and the alpha channel don't lie on top of each other properly.
I would have to render the animations and create the sprites again. But since the lines are only visible out of some perspectives I didn't do it.

Quote:
*The Austrian Generals have German Confederation flags.

Oh, that's correct!
Officially the Prussians fought not against the Austrian Empire, but against the German Confederation (under the leadership of Austria of course). Or rephrased: The austrian army stood under a mandate of the Confederation - the "Bundesexekution" against Prussia.
Actually I'm not sure whether this flags were used in reality by the Austrians, but I wanted to show the political situation in giving it to them.
You'll notice that the hanoverian General von Arentschildt at Langensalza and the bavarian Prinz Karl von Bayern in the Kissingen scenario have also the Confederation flag.

By the way....although I don't know whether the German Confederation flag was used in 1866 (I think rather not), if you look in the manual you'll notice that on the picture with the soldier from Baden, he has an armband in black, red and gold!

Quote:

Also, I notice all the Danes are armed with Belgian 1843 Muskets. While it might not really matter what it says, I can find you the real Danish weapons used at the time

Yep, that was one thing I was unable to find out. I don't know which rifles they had.
Of course I would be glad if you could find it out!

Greetings,
Helmuth
Turbografx
Regimental Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yep, that was one thing I was unable to find out. I don't know which rifles they had.
Of course I would be glad if you could find it out!

Greetings,
Helmuth

Well, I know the various models of weapon in service at the time, but not which unit had what model during the actual battle Sad I will ask around though and see if I can find out.

I know of two books, each 10 euro, which will probably have the exact information. First I will try to find out for free and then I might go check and see if they have them at the library.
Paul 71stPVI
Regimental Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helmuth - maybe I'm missing something here, but some of the objectives aren't firing in your scenarios. I have a commander and the minimum men in the radius of the waypoint...but nothing happens.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MadMinute Games Message Board Forum Index -> TC2M Modder's Corner All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: